Main content starts here, tab to start navigating

Guide: DUNS and SAM registration


A $28.6 billion restaurant and bar grant program will be made available soon. Members of the Independent Restaurant Coalition partnered with members of Congress to craft the legislation. While the Small Business Administration prepares to stand up the program, businesses should take steps to organize the materials necessary to submit an application once it is available. Below is a bit of information about the program, and what businesses can do to prepare for the application:


Is my business eligible?

Food service or drinking establishments, including caterers, brewpubs, taprooms, and tasting rooms, that are not part of an affiliated group with more than 20 locations. An entity cannot be publicly traded or have a pending application under the Save our Stages program and there are limits on the participation of private equity funds.

How much is my business eligible for?

For businesses in operation before 2019: Take your 2019 gross revenue minus 2020 gross revenue and subtract the total amount of all PPP loans you received.

For business that opened in 2019: Take the average of your 2019 monthly gross revenue and multiply that average by 12.  Subtract your 2020 revenue from that number, then subtract any PPP loans you received.

For business that opened in 2020: You are eligible to receive funding equal to the eligible expenses incurred in 2020 minus gross revenue.

Grants cannot exceed $10 million per restaurant group, or $5 million per individual restaurant.

What expenses can I use this grant on?

Payroll and benefits (not including employee compensation exceeding $100,000/year), mortgage (no prepayment), rent (no prepayment), utilities, maintenance, construction to accommodate outdoor seating,  supplies (including protective equipment and cleaning materials), food and beverage expenses, operational expenses, covered supplier costs as defined by the SBA under the PPP program, sick leave, and any other expenses deemed essential by the Administrator. 

Grants can be spent on eligible expenses from 2/15/20 through 12/31/21 and the Administrator may extend the period through two years from enactment if conditions warrant. 

When will I be able to access this grant?

Once the legislation becomes law, it will take time for the SBA to develop the necessary guidance to applicants and the actual application for restaurant and bar owners to apply for a grant.


Please note: navigating government websites can be challenging and frustrating. Incredible attention to detail is required to complete successful registration. Additionally, websites offering a fee for expedited services are often fraudulent, please adhere to the government websites.

What does my business need?

To receive a grant you will need a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and be registered with the System for Award Management (SAM). You will not be able to apply or receive payments without establishing your business in both of these systems.  

DUNS number: (Data Universal Numbering System).
DUNS is a nine-character identification number, which is a proprietary means of identifying businesses on a location-specific basis developed by Dun & Bradstreet. It is free. An FAQ on DUNS can be found here.
SAM Registration: System for Award Management.
SAM is the Official U.S. Government system that consolidates the Central Contractor Registration (CCR), Federal Contract Registry (FedReg) Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA), and Excluded Parties List System (EPLS). 

How do I register for a DUNS number? 

 Prepare the required information:

  • Name of business

  • Business address

  • Name of business owner

  • Legal structure of business (e.g., corporation, partnership, proprietorship)

  • Year the business first opened

  • Primary type of business

  • Total number of employees (full and part-time)

  • Banking information

Call the Dun & Bradstreet hotline (1-866-705-5711), or visit their website. Receiving your DUNS number will likely take 2-3 days. Make sure to record the exact information you provide, this will be important for SAM.

How do I register with SAM?

You must first have a DUNS number to complete the SAM registration. Prepare the required information for SAM registration:

  • Create an account by visiting: (note this is different than your SAM account)

  • Working phone number

  • Tax identification number

  • CAGE number (if do not have, one will be assigned to you)

  • Banking information

To register for SAM, follow the following steps:

  1. Use your account to log into SAM here

  1. Once you have logged in, create an individual SAM user account.

  1. Select the entity registrations from the menu on the lower half of the page and choose Register New Entity. For why you are applying choose “to apply for Federal financial assistance opportunities only”.

  1. Make sure the data you provide exactly matches the information entered in DUNS. You will be asked for banking information, tax information, and your CAGE number, which will be assigned to you if you do not have it.

  1. You will receive an email from when your registration becomes active. This is not the final step.

The final step in the process is submitting your notarized letter to the Federal Service Desk. Here is a bit of information how to structure that letter:

  • Your business’ letterhead, and be signed by your business’ owner, or other authorized signer.

  • Your DUNS number.

  • Central Contractor Registration primary point of contact, or alternate point of contact (if applicable)

  • Business owner’s name, phone number, address, and email.

  • Provide justification for registration.

  • Contain the following passage, with relevant information provided (see bold):

    •  “The purpose of this notarized letter is to designate [insert name of Entity Administrator] as Entity Administrator for [company]. I, [name and title of signatory], hereby confirm that [insert name of  Entity Administrator] is an authorized officer, agent, or representative of [insert entity name, or, for individuals representing themselves, say him/herself]. This letter will authorize [Insert name of Entity Administrator] to have access to the System for Award Management (SAM). SAM is a computer system managed by the Federal Government, and it is only accessible by individuals who are either authorized to represent a particular entity, or by individuals representing themselves. Accessing or using SAM, or information contained therein,   for any unauthorized or illegal purposes, may have civil and criminal penalties, and may negatively impact the status of the SAM registration maintained on this entity. I, the below-signed, attest to the accuracy of all information contained in this letter.”

  • Note: if your business is not operated by a third party, include the following:

    • “For the purpose of registering with the United States Federal Government through the online System for Award Management (SAM), I do not authorize any 3rd party to act on behalf of [company organization, agency].”

  • Note: if your business is operated by a third party, include the following:

    • “For the purpose of registering with the United States Federal Government through the online System for Award Management (SAM), I do hereby authorize [Enter name of 3rd Party Agent] to act on  behalf of [company, organization, agency.]   This authorization permits [Enter name of 3rd Party Agent] to conduct all normal, common business functions within SAM while binding signatory to all actions conducted and representations made as a result of authorization granted herein. I forever hold harmless the United States Government, the System for Award Management, and all associated entities from all action and causes of actions, suits, claims, attorney fees, or demands  resulting from the authorization granted herein.”

  • Templates of letters can be found here:

How to submit SAM registration letter to Federal Service Desk

  1. The first step to scanning this letter is logging into by using your account.

  1. Click “Create an Incident”.

  2. Select “System for Award Management (SAM)” in the “System Name” field.

  3. Select “SAM: Notarized Letter” in the Issue Type field. Fill out remaining fields

  4. Select the Paperclip icon to add attachments and attach your scanned notarized letter.

  5. Once you have filled out all required information and attached your notarized letter, click Submit.